Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Christmas Day

Brian and I tossed and turned a bit in the night because we were so excited for the boys to wake up to Christmas! We usually make Thad wait until 7:00 am to wake up, but we put the clock away and told him to wake up whenever he wanted to. At 6:15 am we heard that boy hop down his stairs and come get us to get things going. Wes was still asleep, but was a good sport about getting up because I think he could feel the excitement!
We had the obligatory wait time so that I could get myself presentable and so that Dad could check on everything and make sure Santa had everything right.
IMG_3944
These sweet boys waited patiently at the top of the stairs and Thad hurried Wes down as soon as dad gave the OK!
421
As soon as they got to the bottom of the stairs, they ran to the gifts that Santa left for each of them:
IMG_3949

IMG_3950

IMG_3958

IMG_3953

IMG_3956

IMG_3954

IMG_3955

IMG_3959
They were both very excited about their new toys that would keep them entertained outside for hours!

STOCKINGS
(Definitely my favorite thing to open and watched be open on Christmas morning!)
Thad:
IMG_3960
422

Wes:
It was hard to tear this boy out of that car to go through his stocking, hence Thad going through it for him.
IMG_3968
423

IMG_3976

After Wes was finally done, they got those head lamps on straight away,
424

425
And Wes got right back to business!

Dad:
IMG_3983

Mom:
IMG_3989

426

PRESENTS
Thad was excited when we finally decided to get down to business! ;-)
427

IMG_4000
//Nerf Gun from Grandma Cindy and Grandpa Kent//

IMG_3998

428

IMG_4006

After the boys opened a couple things, Brian casually says, “Let’s have mom open one.”
IMG_4008
I was completely SHOCKED when I opened it up to find a brand new Canon DSLR camera that I had been frequently mentioning to Brian.
IMG_4010
I knew it was totally out of the question and was not expecting it at all, but Brian sure knows how to surprise me and make one happy mom!
He thinks of EVERYTHING and had it charged and ready to go so we could use it for the rest of the day.
Of course we tested it out right away…
429
And got a pretty good shot of everyone’s happy Christmas faces. (Pink eye and all.)

After all the excitement, Thad was ready to get the rest of those wrapped up boxes, UNwrapped!
4210

IMG_0012

IMG_0019

IMG_0022

IMG_0023
//Hot Wheels track from Grandma Teresa and Grandpa Russ//

4212
4213

IMG_0053
//Tonka Truck from Grandma Teresa and Grandpa Russ//

IMG_0014
Wes kept making his way back to his car with his head lamp on. We couldn’t get enough of it!

IMG_0054
4217

IMG_0029

IMG_0056
As you can see from all of my silly faces, I was extra excited about my camera and all of its accessories!

IMG_0034

IMG_0017

IMG_0018
I surprised Brian with a school desk for our bedroom.
Not nearly as exciting as my camera, but something he needed and he was so grateful I thought of his need to have a space for his studies.
We are so grateful for that smart dad of ours!
IMG_0044

IMG_0030

IMG_0032

4211

IMG_0043
//Boxing Robots from Grandma Cindy and Grandpa Kent//

IMG_0067

Brian and Thad took a break for some Christmas nog:
IMG_0058
And then it was straight back to playing and getting dad to work to get toys assembled!
IMG_0033

4215

IMG_0078

IMG_0071

4217-001

IMG_0081
If you can’t tell by now, Wes has a slight obsession with cars/wheels. Almost every gift he received was vehicle related and he loved every single one!

IMG_0079

IMG_0084

And don’t forget dad playing with mom’s new present:
IMG_0088

IMG_0085
I know I’m a nerd, but I love Christmas and this picture pretty much sums up how excited I was about the whole morning!

BREAKFAST
IMG_0093
Dad is always the breakfast guy at our house, so Christmas was no exception. Smile
He sure is a handsome breakfast chef!
IMG_0090

IMG_0091

IMG_0094

IMG_0095

IMG_0096

IMG_0098

IMG_0099

After a delicious breakfast, there was more play:
IMG_0101

IMG_0102

IMG_0103

IMG_0105

And some must-have Christmas Day photos:
IMG_0124

IMG_0125

IMG_0127

IMG_0133

Some more camera testing:
4216

IMG_0134
IMG_0147

IMG_0155

And finally outside to test the big gifts out!
IMG_0156

IMG_0174

4218

IMG_0167

IMG_0170

IMG_0177

IMG_0181

IMG_0182

IMG_0191

IMG_0183

IMG_0184

IMG_0190

And we sure love our goof, Thad!
IMG_0192

This is for sure our favorite outside moment of the day:
IMG_0180

IMG_0195

IMG_0197

IMG_0202
We spent the rest of the day playing with our new toys, eating a yummy dinner, connecting with family and especially enjoying one another’s company.
IMG_0206

IMG_0207

IMG_0208

IMG_0220

IMG_8481

IMG_8483

IMG_8497
Thank heavens for technology!
After talking to our families, we thought, ya know what? We probably could have gone to Utah for Brian’s 4 WEEK winter break…Well, we didn’t, and we definitely had an incredible Christmas, but the holidays are about family and we may take that into consideration next year.
Watch out Utah, your favorite Texans may be headed your way December 2014!
4219

IMG_0230

IMG_0233
What a special day we enjoyed as a family. It’s amazing how much love continues to grow in our family each passing year.
These boys are our world and they are the most precious gift in our lives.
It is because of the Savior and his birth that we are able to be a forever family.
I am so grateful for that and hope that through the Christmas holiday and weekly worship and study that my boys will understand His divine role in our mortal experience and eternal lives.
What privilege and blessing it was to celebrate the birth of our Savior with the three most important people in my life. Yes, we are truly blessed.
IMG_0227
//Merry Christmas 2013//
Love, The Monsens

2 comments:

Niki said...

Pink eye is THE WORST. It still looks like an amazing Christmas, though! I love the boys' matching PJs and I love that you were playing outside on Christmas day! I can't even imagine!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I love christmas morning, great captures. I used to have my family blog, but have slacked and have long felt weighted down with wanting to catch up! Love that brian surprised you with the camera!