We are so excited to be moving to Ohio in a few short weeks and absolutely love our home we bought on Belvedere Green Boulevard! As you know from my last post, we left Ohio empty handed and were feeling a little worried about our options. We got home from our house hunting trip on Monday afternoon and by Tuesday afternoon I had bought a very inexpensive ticket to Ohio two weeks later just in case we needed another weekend to house hunt. The ticket was just for me and only $135 so not a big loss if I didn't need to go after all. That same Tuesday a brand new home on the northern border of Powell came on the market and we really liked it! It was one of the last homes built in the development so we would have all the benefits of a brand new home, but not have to live through construction of surrounding homes...win-win! We sent our realtor and my new best Ohioan friend, Tara, to take video and check the house out. It was a really great home and Brian and I both liked it a lot. There were a few hang ups with the yard and appliances we found out later that made us pause, but when it really came down to it we just couldn't get over location. It was close enough to schools and the church, but the closest grocery store was 13 minutes away and the Costco was 23 minutes away! I know it's a total first world problem, but man, when we're spending a bunch of money on a house we at least want to pick our first world problems, right!? We were feeling like we needed to act fast, but it just wasn't feeling right so we slept on it and ultimately decided not to move forward with that property. We both felt better when we decided to put it aside for the time being and felt good about watching the MLS and having that trip booked for me to go look if needed.
On Wednesday another Powell property dropped into our price range in an EXCELLENT location, but it was pretty rough inside and would need quite a bit of updating. I really loved the layout and we both really loved the location and were really excited about the idea of it. We sent Janet (our amazing realtor) out to look at it on Thursday and she said it was pretty tired inside and that most surfaces would need some love in the short future, also, there was only 2.5 bathrooms and we weren't crazy about the finished basement. That same day a home in Dublin came on the market and we were both immediately drawn to it. It was clearly kept up well and had a much more traditional layout than the Powell home. It was clear that an older couple lived there and that the house was very well kept. It also had an unfinished basement that we both liked the idea of better. Great for storage and also for little kids to play in! Janet scheduled to go check it out first thing Friday morning and in the interim we both got really excited about the Dublin property. She sent us video that morning and confirmed what the pictures had told us: a well kept home with a great layout and big kitchen! Janet was pretty neutral or erred on the side of picking out the negatives during our house hunting trip, so when she said, "The house looks great!" in a text to me and Brian, we were shocked! We knew it had to be really good for her to say that. We talked and looked at the video several times and decided we really wanted to put an offer in on that house. We knew it would go that weekend to someone if we didn't act so we put together an offer on Friday night and gave them until noon on Saturday (my birthday!) to get back to us.
I don't lose sleep over much, but when I had the chance to sleep in on my birthday I just couldn't because I kept thinking about that house and how perfect it would be for our family!! Well, after breakfast we heard the news (more details in my birthday post) that our offer was accepted and we were elated! We knew it was the right home for our family and the way we felt so confident and peaceful buying the home sight unseen gave us reassurance that it was the right step for our family. Thank heavens for prayer and a Father in Heaven that knows us so well and leads us where we are supposed to go if we let Him.
Here are the pictures from the listing to our beautiful home:
We could not love this property any more! It really did meet all of our ideal standards we started our house hunting with: an established neighborhood/community, needs updating but not renovating, three car garage AND a den, and a decent sized yard. We saw so many properties that didn't have these things and are so grateful we found something that will fit our family perfectly!
We are so excited to make this place our own over the coming years...and we're starting with the floors! We decided I would use that back up plane ticket to go out and actually see the house before we move in and also pick out floors to put throughout most of the main level. We decided that with all that tile and mish mash of carpet and hardwood that we would rip it all out and put laminate wood planks throughout. So I packed my bag last week and headed to Ohio on Thursday, April 26 to check it all out. I landed in Columbus late afternoon and drove straight to the house! I knew I couldn't go in, but I had to see it. As I was driving up the main road, Avery Road, leading to my neighborhood I was overwhelmed with gratitude and reassurance that it was the right place for our family. The blossoms were on the trees and it was just so gorgeous and I felt the love and reassurance that I needed from our Father in Heaven that we are going to the right place. As I pulled into the neighborhood I just loved it right away! I loved the mature trees and diversity of the homes and the well groomed yards, it was absolute perfection! I drove around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes passing our home a lot and then parking across the street to stare at it and FaceTime the family. It was so fun being there and imagining our life there and feeling happy and excited about it all. After spending a good amount of time in the neighborhood, I navigated to the most important spot: Costco! It only took 9 minutes to get there and I felt pretty dang good about that. I headed in to use the bathroom and buy some Jelly Bellyies for Lincoln's birthday that I was crashing at the Barney home.
I asked Kim if could stay with her when I came because they won't be in Ohio much longer so I wanted to spend time with her. We actually crossed paths with them the summer we moved to Texas, they moved from Houston to Utah that summer and we are literally moving to Ohio the week they leave for Nebraska. Such a bummer, but I'm so glad I got to spend time with her darling family! I joined them for Lincoln's birthday celebration and he loved the Jelly Bellies I brought! After a fun night of catching up and celebrating Lincoln, I headed to lunch with Janet on Friday afternoon before going to the flooring store to pick out our floors. I was so nervous to do this and told Janet at lunch that I didn't feel grown up enough to be doing what I was doing, but luckily she was right there alongside to hold my hand because I really couldn't have done it without her. The flooring guy was nice but she asked questions and moved things along in ways that I couldn't and I was just so happy to have her there with me. I didn't feel like there was a huge selection and ended up only taking one sample to the home with me. I was so excited to finally see the house and Janet was relieved that I loved it as much as she hoped! I wanted to call and FaceTime everyone that has been so loving and supportive through this whole process, but I just had to soak it all in and loved it so much. The decision of the floor also weighed heavy on me and I had to keep talking it through with Janet over and over. We moved the sample to all the different rooms and the longer we had it there the more we loved it!
Janet helped me feel confident about the floors and I was pretty sure it was what we were going to do, but I had to think on it some more and get approval from some of my people. But before I did that I went to the elementary school to meet the staff in the front office and get some info. They were all so kind to me and the principal was even there! I talked to her and the secretary and they both made me feel so welcome and happy about the school. The principal told me to bring the boys over for a tour when we get there in June and they are both excited about that!
After the school I headed to Lowe's because I felt like I was just giving up if I didn't look at more flooring. Well, I sat in the parking lot and FaceTimed and Marco Polo'd a few people who reassured me they were awesome and to not complicate things if I didn't need to. I could go round and round looking for the perfect color and texture I had envisioned, but ultimately realized I would end up picking something very similar so it wasn't worth the hassle. I headed into Lowe's anyways and it actually made me feel better because I didn't like anything so it was perfect! I went to dinner with Tara after that and had a wonderful 3 hour meal with her at a delicious Indian restaurant. She is the wife of Jon Kerr who started as a professor last year at OSU and we have just hit it off and I'm sure will be life long friends. How do I get so lucky in the friend department? It is such a great blessing!
Brian loved the floors after I was finally able to show him that night (after his crazy day of work and kids) and that gave me the final bit of reassurance that I needed. I met with the floor guy on Saturday and we set it all up to start the floors on May 31 after we finally get possession of the house. I felt so good after knowing I came to Ohio accomplishing my goal: pick my floors and set the wheels in motion.
I spent the afternoon on my own shopping downtown and at Target in Hilliard and had a wonderful time. Later in the afternoon I headed back to the Barney's and helped Kim stage a few rooms because they are putting their home on the market in a few weeks are getting pictures in the next couple days. We worked our booties off and then headed out on a date to dinner at Piada and to see I Feel Pretty...we had such a good time and the movie was SO GOOD! If you haven't seen it, you definitely should.
Sunday I went to church with them before flying home that afternoon. I had such a wonderful time with Kim and her family and am so grateful I got to experience the wonderful relationship they all share. Kim is so calm and good with her kids and they are the same to her and each other! I know they were being good because I was there, but the tone of voice they used with each other and the way they enjoyed each other so much is something that can't be faked and it was really special to witness. Kim and Christian haven't had the easiest path with med school and residency, but they have created a beautiful family culture that I admire greatly. Her youngest, Ginny, was a little sassafrass with the cutest scratchy voice and I could have just brought her home with me! Luckily Omaha is the halfway point between Columbus and SLC so we will be frequenting Hotel Barney over the coming years on our summer road trips! I can't wait for my kids to meet and play with hers, I think they will get along really well.
How grateful I am to a loving Heavenly Father who continually blesses me with guidance, love and amazing people. I cannot wait for our next adventure!

























No comments:
Post a Comment