The storm was being talked about days before it happened, but I didn’t understand the seriousness of it until I realized I shouldn’t fly to Utah the weekend of October 27th to attend Mike Sampson’s funeral. Haley’s dad passed away unexpectedly due to natural causes and I really wanted to be there to support her, and Hailey Jones was ready to get me on a standby flight to SLC so I could spend 48 hours there. When the seriousness of the storm kept increasing, it didn’t make sense to go through with the trip. I was planning on going Saturday night to Monday night and by Sunday evening over 1200 Jet Blue flights alone had been cancelled. Thousands of flights were cancelled over the course of the storm and I would have been a nervous wreck being away from my boys. Although I wasn’t able to make it for the funeral, my thoughts and prayers were with her family and they had so much support. My mom helped with the arrangements and said it was a really sweet experience to see the Sampson girls pull together. I love them all so much and can’t wait to see them in a few weeks. My prayers continue to be with their family as hard times will still come.
Sunday night into Monday morning the winds really kicked up but we weren’t too nervous. We are a safe distance from the water and Emmy and Ernie took an extra step and boarded up some windows in our house. The power flickered here and there throughout Monday and finally went out about 6:00pm.
I took these pictures right before we lost power, and posted them on Instagram saying how glad we were to have power:
And then during dinner, it happened!

We were sad to see it go, but knew it was bound to happen.
We could see the power line that went down on our street, and it ended up being only our street that lost it.
The houses and businesses behind us had lights all night.
We really can’t complain though, because we only lost it for about 18 hours, and there are still people in our ward that don’t have it. Not to mention the people in NJ and surrounding areas that lost EVERYTHING.

When I heard the TV click on, I cheered, so Thad ran to all the light switches and said, “The power is on!”
What would we do without electricity? We are truly blessed.
Brian went out later in the day to help some ward members that were closer to the water clean up and get some water out of their basement and then took a stroll around to see the damage:
We were sad to see it go, but knew it was bound to happen.
We could see the power line that went down on our street, and it ended up being only our street that lost it.
The houses and businesses behind us had lights all night.
We really can’t complain though, because we only lost it for about 18 hours, and there are still people in our ward that don’t have it. Not to mention the people in NJ and surrounding areas that lost EVERYTHING.
When I heard the TV click on, I cheered, so Thad ran to all the light switches and said, “The power is on!”
What would we do without electricity? We are truly blessed.
Brian went out later in the day to help some ward members that were closer to the water clean up and get some water out of their basement and then took a stroll around to see the damage:
As you can see, several people were affected in our communities and have lost a lot.
Thankfully the water receded, unlike in NJ, and clean up can begin.
We used to be able to walk on that dock out there.
I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon.
This path used to lead out all the way to the dock.
The winds lifted the asphalt and brought it inland.
Crazy!
Brian also went into the city one day this week. I took him to Stamford because trains weren’t running to East Norwalk yet, but he made it in, and although the train coming home was about 25 minutes late, I think it was impressive they even had the trains up and running.
He snapped one picture while in the city:

If you look close, you can see a crane in the background that broke during the storm and has been a major issue in the city.
That area has had to be evacuated until they figure out how to get it taken care of.
Why wasn’t it taken down BEFORE the storm? I think that’s the big question everyone has.
He snapped one picture while in the city:
If you look close, you can see a crane in the background that broke during the storm and has been a major issue in the city.
That area has had to be evacuated until they figure out how to get it taken care of.
Why wasn’t it taken down BEFORE the storm? I think that’s the big question everyone has.
As you can see, we weren’t affected by this storm very badly. Our hearts go out to those in our surrounding communities.
A lot of people are coming from NY and NJ to fill their gas tanks because getting gas is hard to come by over there.
A gas station must have electricity in order for the gas to be pumped, and that has posed a major problem.
There have been some lines at our nearby gas stations, but we have been sure to top off whenever we get the chance, and so far we haven’t had a problem.
Please keep the people on the east coast in your prayers as another cold front is making it’s way and some still don’t have power to keep them warm or a home to stay in.
A lot of people are coming from NY and NJ to fill their gas tanks because getting gas is hard to come by over there.
A gas station must have electricity in order for the gas to be pumped, and that has posed a major problem.
There have been some lines at our nearby gas stations, but we have been sure to top off whenever we get the chance, and so far we haven’t had a problem.
Please keep the people on the east coast in your prayers as another cold front is making it’s way and some still don’t have power to keep them warm or a home to stay in.
No comments:
Post a Comment