Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Great Grandmas

When I say Great Grandmas, I don't mean our moms' moms, but Great as in Wonderful, Incredible, Amazing, Remarkable, Spectacular, Marvelous and any other synonym you can think of for Grandmas.

The past 2.5 weeks have flown by with our new addition, and they have been a very pleasant couple of weeks thanks to these two ladies:


I don't know how people transition through major life events without the support of family. It makes all the difference, and I am so grateful to be a part of two very supportive families. Going through these major changes definitely helps me take a step back and remember what is important in life, and family always seems to make it to the top. I love living back here, on the east coast, Brian and I have grown so much as a couple and we have met so many incredible people. I don't plan on leaving soon, and I am perfectly content with that, but events like this tug at my heart strings and make me hope that our kids can be close to their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins someday so they know our family and so our family can know them watch them grow.

In the mean time we will have wonderful visits to and from family to fill up our tanks and keep us going until the next time we see them.

My mom headed back first to help me through recovery and figuring my baby out. :) She was amazing and kept my house in tip top shape and I didn't lift a single finger. She used to call me her "gopher," because I would run around and "go for" whatever she needed...she taught me well and I put that lesson into action with her! She was amazing and any little request I had, she was on it!
Thad also loved having Grandma Cindy around and took advantage of her every moment he could. 
He loved this book my mom brought for Wes called, The Night You Were Born. It was so sweet and talked about how special each baby is, and he had her read it to him a few times in a row. 
The ship story (Nephi going to the Promised Land) is now his favorite in the Book of Mormon because she read it to him during FHE the night before she left. He hasn't let up and I'm so okay with that. 
 We were able to make it out a couple times while she was here. Grandma Cindy LOVES Stew Leonard's, so we couldn't pass it up. It also felt so good to get up and go only 5 days after having a baby. The things our bodies can do! 
Thad was okay once we passed the cow and Wes loved his first time at the "Cow Store!"
We were all so sad to see her go, so for her farewell meal we took her to our favorite Norwalk restaurant, Jordan's, to gobble up a Kitsa Pella Salad. 
It did not disappoint!

Thank you, Mom, for coming to help our family that lives thousands of miles away. Thank you for over-paying for your ticket, dealing with lay-overs, flying into Hartford and sitting in traffic just to be here right on the day I wanted you to. Thank you for folding each piece of laundry and putting up with my demands about how it was washed, dried, folded and put away. Thank you for putting my soothing pads in the fridge and grimacing with me each time Wes would latch on. It made all the difference and I love you for it!

Saying goodbye to my mom was hard, but not quite as hard as the next goodbye because I knew another Great Grandma was on her way the very next morning! I was feeling so good physically by the time Teresa came, but she helped me keep my sanity. She walked in our door early Wednesday morning and didn't step one foot out until Monday evening for dinner and some birthday shopping with our soon-to-be 3-year old.
She indulged this boy on any request he had, whether it was a new game on her iPhone, making shapes with his cars or scaring each other with the T-rex, his wish was her command. 
And you know what? They BOTH loved every second of it!

By indulging Thad's need to play and be entertained, it indulged me to do what I needed or wanted to, and that is the #1 thing I needed this last week. With all this change, I needed to feel like me. I didn't want to feel frantic or overwhelmed and Teresa being there to play with Thad or take Wes at any given moment, helped me avoid feeling that way. With each passing day I knew it was getting closer to being mommy of 2 on my own and having her there helped me transition mentally so much better.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't do much of anything while she was here either! At times I felt like I needed to be doing more, but I let her cook, clean up after she cooked, mop my floors and catch me (I mean Brian) up on ironing. I try to be a good hostess most of the time, but all my propriety went out the window...I hope you don't mind, Teresa. :) 

Teresa, thank you for leaving your busy life at home and enjoying your time with your grandsons. Thank you for letting me sleep whenever I wanted to. Thank you for making up games and stories for Thad and teaching him how to take turns when playing Memory. Thank you for staying with one or both of our boys whenever I had the urge to go to the store or play a game of volleyball. Thank you for not caring that you only put your shoes on twice the whole time you were here. It made all the difference and I love you for it!


My Boys Lately
 This boy keeps growing!
He's up to 9 lbs...he gained a whole pound last week!
 And this boy still loves being a big brother!
(Even if he did get in trouble right after this picture for sliding out from under Wes before I was able to put the camera down)
 Dad was showing Thad how strong Wes' neck was...
 And Thad had to get in on the action and showed Wes and Mom how strong his neck was...how impressive, Thad!
 We found the sportiest outfit we could for the Super Bowl (pretty darn cute if I don't say so myself),
And enjoyed the night as a family watching the Giants win. :)
There is nothing better than seeing these 3 faces every day. 
Life really is good!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so happy for you Shelley! What sweet little boys you have!!

Taryn said...

I am so glad you had the grandmas there to help you guys transition into life as a family of 4! I felt like the transition went so well for us, but I know it was because we had such great help and it sounds like the same for you. You look great and sound so happy :)