Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Heart NYC!

Saturday was my first time to New York City, and I'll have to say that it not only met, but exceeded my expectations! I was told to go in without a major agenda, and just explore for the first time and it was really great advice. We went with Tracy, Hanna and Sophie and they had been before like Brian, so we planned some things that weren't so typical of NYC trip since I will have lots of trips to come and they had all already seen the major sites.
We rode the train in from Norwalk,
 getting off at Grand Central Terminal and walked down 5th Ave, through Rockefeller plaza

(We seriously LOVE 30 Rock, so this pic was a must:)
And straight into Central Park:
It was so fun to be in the thick of the trees, but then see the buildings standing so tall over them.

After the kids were soaked and we got their clothes changed, we headed to Pronto's Pizza for a classic New York Slice.
This filled us up for the rest of the day to say the least.

We jumped on the subway, strollers and all, and headed over to the Brooklyn Bridge



At first we went down to the pier under the bridge and got some yummy ice cream. We also got a great show from some sweet rappers filming a rap video:
Yeah, it was pretty hard core.
We wanted to walk across the bridge because we had heard good things about it and even though everyone but me had been to the city, none of them had walked across:)

It actually turned out to be the best part of the day!! It was a perfect view of the city and also nice and breezy to cool us off a bit.
The kids were pretty pooped by the end of our promenade...
And we gladly let them sleep --- zzzzzz

While they were sleeping we walked through the Financial District

And headed to the Staten Island Ferry. It's free to the public and goes past the Statue of Liberty, thus eliminating the crowded, costly trip to Ellis Island which I'm sure I will make eventually:)
Hanna and Tracy stretching after our long walk to the ferry...and across Manhattan!

It was a perfect way to end the day and not have to be on our feet for 45 minutes. Thad and Sophie loved to look at the water and sit by each other on the benches...what sweeties!

Again, the day was absolutely amazing and I couldn't have thought of a better way to spend my first day in the city. It is such a fun adventure to be out here and I can't wait to go back with all of our visitors. Speaking of which...We already have 4 in the works! Heidi booked her flight the other night to come September 16th and I thought she would be my first, but my sister Brigitte is coming out August 24th! Breanne and Taryn and Todd and Kelsie are also planning for mid October and I am just seriously SOOOO excited! We love visitors and would love to get anyone else on the calendar that is interested. Let me know.


7 comments:

Melissa said...

Fun Shelley!! Looks like you guys are having a blast in Connecticut. I am happy for you!!

Brigitte said...

Looks fun, can't wait!

Heidi Madsen said...

LOVED this post! First thing I noticed was Thaddies bump on his head, looks like he hasn't changed too much ;) You are looking SOOO good Shell, keep up the good work. Loved the big pics and the collages, gald you figured it out. Sad to see Thad has a new girl friend :( what a punk. Love and miss all three of you (would hate to leave Brian out). Can't wait to see you SOON! XO

The Fauxes said...

Looks like so much fun! I'm totally jealous!

Camille said...

Hey! I found your blog from the comment you made on the picture party thing... I promise I'm not a stalker! But, I am mildly obsessed with blogs so I was glad to find it! I'm glad we came to your pizza joint tonight- we had a good time even though we couldn't talk to ya'll way down at the other end of the table :) we should do something else soon though!

Hansen Family said...

How fun Shelley! That is so great. The pizza looked so yummy to me. I am glad that you are having fun.

Lindsay said...

Looks like fun! Wish we could come see you! Glad you guys are doing well.